'55 Montclair Engine Paint – Color

Home Forums Technical Discussion '55 Montclair Engine Paint – Color

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

Looking for help on the last part of my project. Advise as to which color the engine should be for my ’55 Montclair Convertible 292 with a 4BBL Carb.

It is currently a bright yellow with white valve covers and air cleaner and the yellow paint is starting to peel off and is looking really bad.

After scraping off some of the yellow paint, we find a gold / dark beige color!!!!

Any help on color name and code.
    VIN: 55WA64076M

THANK YOU.

Both of my 55 Montclairs have yellow paint on everything, with red lettering on the valve covers. The air cleaner, fan and pulleys are black. The Monterey parts car I had also was painted this way.

Larry & Pam Mize
    Participant

The color of the engine depended on the date produced and also the horsepower. There were two variations. One variation was all yellow and the other was cream colored valve covers and air cleaner and a tan block. There was a Lincoln/Mercury service bulletin dated 12-17-54 #237 that described the differences. It had something to do with which heads were used on the engine and the dates.

You can get more info. from Mr. Merle Fourez at Classic Mercury Parts in California. He is the one that supplied me with the above info. His number is 805-646-3345. I had seen pictures of 55 Mercs with the cream valve covers and some with the all yellow motors and wondered what the difference was.

Hope all goes well with the restoration!!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be to reply to this topic.