Turn cornering light relays

Home Forums Technical Discussion Turn cornering light relays

Tagged: 

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Joe & Judy Woelfel
    Participant

Can anyone give me an idea about where I might be able to buy known good relays for the cornering lights on a 66?

Jerry Robbin
    Keymaster

Cy said here are 2 sources

Classic Cars Unlimited 1 800 543 8691
    specializes in Lincoln
    Mark II Enterprises

Joe & Judy Woelfel
    Participant

Neither of these show part #s so I sent emails to both addresses. The email to markii.co came back to me.

Jerry Robbin
    Keymaster

Not sure if this 1 will help, but try contacting

http://www.brilesvintageautoparts.com/inventory.php?show=TURN_SIGNAL_SWITCHES

Jerry Robbin
    Keymaster

Not sure if this 1 will help, but try contacting

http://www.brilesvintageautoparts.com/inventory.php?show=TURN_SIGNAL_SWITCHES

Wayne & Judy Miller
    Participant

I am not sure what you are refering to when you say relays , but there are only a few things that can go wrong with the whole system . I own a 65 Parklane and have dealt with some of these issues in my 64 Monterey . The 65 service manual has this to say ;

TURN INDICATOR LIGHTS INOPERATIVE   1. Burned out bulbs , or loose sockets . 2 . Burned out fuse . 3 . Loose or broken wire from ignition switch to flasher . 4. Defective flasher . 5 . Loose or broken wire from flasher to turn idicator switch . 6 . Defective turn indicator switch . 7 . Broken or shorted , or loose wires from switch to lights .

If any of these are your problem , you should be able to find parts at  http://www.macsautoparts.com  or google Dennis CarpenterAuto Parts . And remember these are not Mercury only parts . They are shared with Ford and Lincoln , which makes the hunt much easier .   Sorry about the delay in an answer , but I was out of town for the holiday weekend .

If you need more help do not be affraid to ask .

Joe & Judy Woelfel
    Participant

Thanks Wayne & Judy. I’ll try to be more descriptive.

I don’t think the 64 or 65 had “cornering” lights that came on with the turn signals. On the front fender, in front of  and above the tire of the 65 is a, sort of, design feature. On the 66, at the same location would be a piece of chrome trim, or as an option, was a light. This light is operated by a relay that is mounted on the light fixture inside the fender. I was out of college and had been married a couple of years when the 66s came out. I remember the cornering light coming on. When I checked the owner’s manual to see which lamp is supposed to be in it I learned it is an 1157 which is a two filament lamp. Now I’m trying to remember if one filament came on and the second was operated by the flasher and flashed. Or maybe the relay  just turned on both filaments for the extra brightness.

The turn signals themselves are mounted in the fender extension on the front of the fender. They work fine! It’s the cornering lights that are non-functional.

A couple of questions I have is that, when the engine was overhauled, the previous owner must have painted the inside of the engine bay. I’m having some trouble learning if the relay isn’t working or if the new paint is causing a lack of ground….somewhere.

I have also sluethed out another very similar looking relay that has a C4**** part number but is shown as a relay for horns. I’m pretty tempted to get one just to see if the horn was an alternate use of the same part. And if I could eliminate the grounding issue I probably would.

Right now it’s been pretty hot in Kansas and my garage isn’t air conditioned so I haven’t had a whole lot of opportunity to get back on the project.

But, thanks again. If you have other inspiration please let me know.

Joe

Wayne & Judy Miller
    Participant

I do remember that option as we had a 66 when I was a teenager . My first thought would be to check for the ground as all the light sockets had just one wire , not 2 or 3 . Make sure the trim piece is grounded to the fender as the socket will ground to it . Did that light only come on with the turn signal ? Good Luck and it is hot in Minn. also .

Joe & Judy Woelfel
    Participant

As far as I can tell the lights come on only with the turn signals.

Wayne & Judy Miller
    Participant

Is the wire leading to the light socket a single strand or is it a double strand . If it is single that would lead me to beleive that the bulb should be a single filament bulb . Not a double filament . If you take the bulb out of the socket you should be able to tell by looking into the socket which bulb will be needed , as the bases on the bulbs will be different . Thats about all I can think of .

Joe & Judy Woelfel
    Participant

Well fellas, it’s with a very red face that I’ve got admit ole Joe made a mistake. I read the owner’s manual wrong and the correct lamp for the cornering lights is a 1195 not a 1157. I haven’t gone after it yet but I’ll bet the farm it’s a single element lamp.

Stay tuned and I’ll get back to ya.

Joe

Hopefully that is all it is.  A simple, cheap fix for a problem that could be giant.

Joe & Judy Woelfel
    Participant

Ok, I finally got a chance to get back on this when it wasn’t unbearably hot.

The manual does call for an 1195 light bulb but the sockets (both sides) are two contact sockets. Neither looks to have been changed. Interestingly, there is only one wire going to the socket so it must be the differences in the voltage supplied from the flasher unit that turns on the second filament.

The more I look into the 1195 lamp it’s pretty clear it’s a single filament lamp. I also found that the “acceptable substitute” for an 1195 in an 1156 which is also a single filament lamp. Obviously, a single contact lamp isn’t going to work in a two contact socket! I tried an 1157 which is a two contact lamp and the two little tabs that hold the lamp into the socket are not in the right place. On an 1157 one tab is slightly higher than the other. The socket and the 1156 lamp have the tabs both at the bottom.

I also noticed that the park/turn signal light is a two filament/two contact set up with only one wire going to it and the manual shows it needs an 1157. So I’m back to assuming that the cornering light is supposed to work like the park/turn signal light.

By the way, I guess I would have lost the farm on that bet.

Hmmmmmmmm

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be to reply to this topic.