Gas gauge

Home Forums Technical Discussion Gas gauge

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Hi guys I’ve got a 1952 mercury and my gas gauge will bounce about a quarter of a tank up and down. The car is not moving just sitting still.does the same thing when moving. The gauge with key on and sending unit grounded shows full and above. I’ve replaced the sending unit a while ago but nothing changed. I see what looks like a condenser or a resistor that has a wire that connects to the sending unit and is attached by one of the screws that hold the sending unit to the tank. Could this unit be faulty and cause my problem? Thanks for any help. Mike

If it’s a condenser then I would be suspicious. They definitely don’t have an unlimited life. That’s the first thing that goes on radios, computers etc.

Does anybody know where I could purchase one? I do have the numbers off of the part

Thanks Ray

Check with Carpenters or C&G Early Ford Parts.

Sounds good thanks Virgil.

Okay guys , I found out that what the condenser looking component is. It’s an electrical noise reducer.it seems that the sending unit creates electrical noise that will be picked up by our AM car radio. Also tested the sending unit and it is bad.thanks to Virgil and Ray for your help. Mike

That’s news to me! (About the AM noise suppression I mean.) But it might also fix the bouncing around of the needle.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be to reply to this topic.