Cooling System '54 Mercury

Home Forums Technical Discussion Cooling System '54 Mercury

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

My restored ’54 Mercury Monterey Coupe seems to run hotter than it should. It pegs out at the first dot past the center normal area no matter if it’s only 75/80 degrees outside. Gets a little hotter in 90 degree weather. Radiator,fan, hoses, belts and everything to do with the cooling system seems to be in good working order. Is there a fix for this? I would like it to run slightly below the middle normal area.

It seems to me that everything is working fine if the temp is in that range. The “dot” between middle and hot was originally supposed to show a temp of 180 degress. With years of use it might not be that accurate but certainly does not reflect any overheating problem. If you have a 180 degree thermostat that is exactly were the temperature should be. If you want it below that switching to a 160 degree thermostat will not cause any problems. One way to check the accuracy would be to get the car warmed up with the temperature gauge at your “normal” reading and then check the coolant temp with a thermometer or you could install an aftermarket temperature gauge. From what you describe I do not think you have an overheating problem at all.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks Virgil, I knew you would have the answer.
    W.Jones
    Georgia

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be to reply to this topic.