1963 mercury monterey S-55

Home Forums Technical Discussion 1963 mercury monterey S-55

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

Can anyone tell me where the  reverse switch it. My backup lights do not work, I replaced both bulbs. The fuse controls the turn signals and backup lights. The turn signals work so the fuse is good. The only thing I can think of is the reverse switch, but I can’t locate it. Please help me.

Jerry Robbin
    Keymaster

This is what the ownersmanual says

http://www.mercurystuff.com/1963-monterey-specs.html

<table border=”1″ cellpadding=”3″ bgcolor=”#ffffff”>

<tbody>

<tr>

<td colspan=”4″>Back-Up Lamp

</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td>     Passenger Car

</td>

<td> 2

</td>

<td> 21 C.P.

</td>

<td> 1141

</td>

</tr>

</tbody>

</table>

<table border=”1″ cellpadding=”3″ bgcolor=”#ffffff”>

<tbody>

<tr>

<td>Turn Indicator Lights/ Back-up Lamps

</td>

<td> SFE-14

</td>

<td> Fuse Block on Main Lighting Switch</td>

</tr>

</tbody>

</table>

Jerry Robbin
    Keymaster

<div class=”post”>

This is what the ownersmanual says

http://www.mercurystuff.com/1963-monterey-specs.html

Back-Up Lamp

Passenger Car

2-

21 C.P. 1141

Turn Indicator Lights/ Back-up Lamps 

SFE-14

Fuse Block on Main Lighting Switch

</div>

Anonymous
    Inactive

IS THERE A REVERSE BACKUP SWITCH THAT ACTIVATES THE BACKUP LAMPS.

Anonymous
    Inactive

i HAVE A OWNERSHIP MANUAL, WHAT i NEED IS THE LOCATION OF THE BACKUP LIGHT SWITCH IF THERE IS ONE.

Anonymous
    Inactive

My experience is limited to later 60’s and 70’s cars but I would think it wouldn’t be much different for your 63.  Usually they are attached to the shifter mechanism.  If you have an automatic column shift, you can find it attached to the top of the steering column, and it usually has a set screw that clamps it down.  On the ones I have worked with, the back up light switch is combined with the ‘neutral saftey’ switch.  I don’t know if that was mandated in 63 or not, but if it was and it was only an adjustment issue, you’d have to move the shifter away from the normal positiion to start the car. If you are experiencing this then you might be able to simply adust the switch.  

If you have an automatic shifter on the floor, the switch should be

attached to it,  you will probably have to remove the console or a plate

to gain access to it.  

I’ve never dealt with manual transmissions but my 65-72 parts book shows a switch for 65 mercs located near the shifter.   It looks like a plunger that you would push against when you move the lever over to reverse.   I am not sure where it is located if you have a column shifted manual transmission.  That linkage has always been somewhat mysterious to me.  I know it works, but I haven’t a clue how.

Once you find the switch it should be a simple matter of jumping the contacts to verify the switch is bad.  If ‘neutral safety’ is part of the equation, you’ll have to figure out which wires are only for the backup light function vs. the starter function.

I hope this helps!

Paul

Anonymous
    Inactive

THANKS FOR YOU HELP, NOW i HAVE AN AREA TO START. tHANKS

Anonymous
    Inactive

The back up and nutral safety switch are together on the stewering column–if you need onn I would be happy to give it to you. I need a tuning knob for my radio in my S55. Call me Ed Johnson 541-549-9905

Jerry Robbin
    Keymaster

Doug Hamilton (member) emailed me and said

jerry.the reverse switch i think is in the

steering

colum down near the bottom. doug hamilton

Anonymous
    Inactive

Is the switch on the engine side or the cabin side. I don’t even know what it looks like.

Jerry Robbin
    Keymaster

<!–[endif]–>

<p class=”MsoNormal”><!–[if !supportEmptyParas]–> <!–[endif]–>

<p class=”MsoNormal”><!–[if !supportEmptyParas]–>

<p class=”MsoNormal”><!–[if !supportEmptyParas]–> See if either of these 2 wiring diagrams help!<!–[endif]–>

<p class=”MsoNormal”><!–[if !supportEmptyParas]–> <!–[endif]–>

<p class=”MsoNormal”><!–[if !supportEmptyParas]–>http://www.tocmp.com/tOCMP/wiring/5765wiring%20diagrams/Mercury/MWire5765-268.jpg

<p class=”MsoNormal”> 

<p class=”MsoNormal”>http://www.tocmp.com/tOCMP/wiring/5765wiring%20diagrams/Mercury/MWire5765-269.jpg

Jerry Robbin
    Keymaster

Anonymous
    Inactive

Jerry thanks for the wiring diagram, but I can’;t read it.

Anonymous
    Inactive

KATHY & eED jOHNSON, I SURE COULD USE THAT SWITCH, BUT i DON’T HAVE ANY PARTS FROM THE 63 MERCURY. HOW MUCH DO YOU WANT FOR THAT SWITCH.

THANKS FRED

Jerry Robbin
    Keymaster

Try calling Joel Ferris Mercuryland Artcher NE as he owns a ’63 and may have the knowlege on the fix + the part

By the way double click on the wiring diagram and it will be enlarged to a size you can read!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be to reply to this topic.