1959 Montclair Stabilizer Bar Issue

Home Forums Technical Discussion 1959 Montclair Stabilizer Bar Issue

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Uwe & Ulrike
    Participant

Hi,
    The rubber bushings from bar to frame have a different shape than „normal“ bushings and are really hard to find. Has someone an address or has someone replaced them with standard parts? Thank you for your support.
    Greetings from Germany, Uwe

Participant

Hi Uwe & Ulrike Those stabilizer bushings are a real bugger. I have replaced them on my 59 Parklane and on my 59 Voyager wagon. Both of these and probably your Montclair have a 7/8″ stabilizer bar. Most of the more common Ford vehicles use a 3/4″ bar. The bushings for other ford products (which are available) look pretty similar and can be made to fit. On my Parklane I used a 3/4″ and drilled it out to fit the 7/8 bar. When I replaced on the Voyager (Feb 20) I ordered both sizes (3/4 and 7/8 and felt I had a better fit with the7/8. I believe I had to do a little external trimming. The real kicker is trying to fit it to the frame. Most other vehicles use a 2 bolt clamp, which would allow you to start with longer bolts. The Mercury uses a tab in the frame and 1 bolt. We were finally able to get it started with a longer bolt and push it on up with a jack. It is easier if you do one at a time, rather than have it flopping all over. I did not purchase from Dennis Carpenter but I see them listed B9A5493-A for3/4 and B9A5493-B for 7/8. Good Luck

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be to reply to this topic.