1958 pushbutton transmission

Home Forums Technical Discussion 1958 pushbutton transmission

Tagged: 

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Is the pushbutton transmission system in my 1958 Mercury Monclair turnpike cruiser a troublesome area? I have just now got this car and the neutral/start button does not start the car and the buttons are somewhat difficult to push etc. Is this a mechanical linkage or electrical system? Don Roehrich

<html />

Suggest that you obtain a shop manual for that car.  The shifter mechanism can be tricky and difficult to deal with.  There are many places to get shop manuals but I have had very good luck with Faxon.  Their website is faxonautoliterature.com.  Hope this helps a little bit.

Thanks for the information, I will check out the site. Do you have a Mercury with the pushbutton drive? Don

I don’t.  I did look up the adjustment procedure in an old “Motor Manual” I have and also emailed a friend here who has a ’57 TPC.  The adjustment procedure appears to be somewhat complicated and may require a special tool or two.  I would be happy to copy those pages from the manual and send them to you if you think they would be helpful.  I did have a ’58 Edsel years ago with the push buttons in the middle of the steering wheel.  That system was not the same as the Merc.  It was electrical and worked quite well when adjusted properly.  It did not have the “start” button located on the neutral button but used the key to activate the starter as in most cars.  I think the starter circuitry can be a bit of a problem.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Don, I have a 57 Turnnpike with the same pushbutton tranny. On mine, we bypassed the start side of that button and used a regular old fashion starter button like is used on the 40’s and early 50’s vehicles. The neutral still works but something to remember is the car will start in gear this way, you must make sure the neutral is in. The pushbutton system is pretty cool but can be a little tricky to work on. Jack Robinson

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be to reply to this topic.