1949 Transmission Removal

Home Forums Technical Discussion 1949 Transmission Removal

Tagged: 

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

GalaxieDave
    Participant

I have a 3-speed OD transmission with leaks in the side case where the shift levers go through the trans case cover. I’ve been told the only way to fix this problem is to remove the transmission completely and to remove the transmission the engine and trans need to be pulled out together. I have a coupe which does have the X-member type frame and does make removing the trans more difficult but I’m having a hard time believing I have to pull the engine to fix these leaks. Any advice or help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

David

Let me begin by saying that I have no personal knowledge of transmission removal on an X frame ’49 Merc. I did speak to someone who is experienced with ’40 Ford (also X frame) transmission removal. You do not need to remove the engine to remove the trans. When you take the transmission rear mount from the cross member you will find that the transmission can be jacked up and the trans mount (cross member) can be removed. The mount must come out the top so lift one side up and rotate to clear the output shaft. You can then lower the engine/trans assembly down so the transmission can clear the X frame. Be sure to support the back of the engine in this process. Good luck.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be to reply to this topic.