April 18, 1966 Loraine, OH Question

Home Forums General Mercury Discussion April 18, 1966 Loraine, OH Question

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

My 1966 Mercury Comet Cyclone convertible was built on this day amid the run of 100 GT Pace Cars. I was told that that explains the GT wheel covers and the GT Cyclone medallion on the glove box cover on my car. Auto workers didn’t want to disrupt the GT pace car run by going to another part of the factory to get the Comet wheel covers or the “correct” glove box medallion, so they just used the ones for other cars going through the line at the time. is this possible? The car was in storage for 33 years and then again after restoration for three years. I also am looking for the smaller nylon gear in my windshield wiper motor. I would buy the whole motor if I could find the correct one.

Anything is possible at an auto manufacturing plant so your explanation could be one possibility. Usually though the parts for a car are beside the assembly line in racks that are programmed to be in the right place at the right time. I have seen cars with Maverick grills and Comet badging, Cougars with Mustang emblems, etc. Another might be someone trying to clone a GT Pace Car. You don’t say if you are the original owner so anything is possible.
    As to your windshield wiper motor issue, contact Carlos Vera in Colorado. You can look up his info on this website by going to the “member directory”. He has a ton of Comets and even more parts.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Virgil & Sue,
    Thanks for your reply. I had emailed Carlos in Sept. of 2016, but did not hear back from him. I’ll send another email.
    In the meantime, I’m also checking out http://www.rushgears.com/ Have any of our members had experience with their work? Apparently, I can send in the stripped smaller gear from my wiper motor and they will either have the same or make the same.

Suggest you might call Carlos. I’m not sure he ever looks at his email.

I am not at all familiar with Rush Gears.

Paul & Xenia Ferris
    Participant

Fred & Nna, That’s an interesting story on your car. I am wondering why my Cyclone has the ‘Cobra Jet’ emblems on the hood scoop. I have seen a few others with it and magazine articles showing them, but its not listed in the Mercury parts book and it’s not appearing in the sales brochure. Still I know them to have been on the car since new. The main reason for my post tough is that I recently had to replace a wiper motor too and if by some coincidence you are still struggling, the part number for the motor is C6OZ-17508-D. They were used in the Comet/Montego line from 66 though 72. Mercury’s get no respect in the aftermarket parts books but in this case it turns out that Ford used them in 67 and 68 Mustangs and Cougars as well and then in 79 and beyond Mustangs later on. So if you go to your favorite parts store and tell them you have a 67 Mustang, you can get a rebuilt replacement fairly quickly. That is what I did. Hopefully after all this time you are not still hunting for a solution but just in case, here is something you can try.
    Paul

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be to reply to this topic.