1954 Mercury Gauge Repair

Home Forums General Mercury Discussion 1954 Mercury Gauge Repair

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

I am considering buying a 1954 Mercery Monterey convertible that is in immaculate condition except the dash gauges do not work. Will it be a difficult job to get these repaired? This car has been restored to excellent condition. Just don’t understand why it is offered for sale with the gauges not working.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sorry about the typo I do know how to spell MERCURY.

Your final statement says a whole lot. There is nothing that difficult about the operation of the gauges in a ’54. There is a common wire to each gauge from the ignition switch (except the amp meter) and then a wire from the sending unit (oil pressure, temp, and gas tank) to the opposite post on the gauge. One would assume that a car restored to “excellent condition” would have gauges that actually work. Have you seen this car or just pictures? Now to your question. The gauge cluster is not that difficult to remove from a ’54 and then the gauges themselves are easy to remove (mark all the wires). United Speedometer in Riverside, CA can redo the entire gauge package for you if you want. It ain’t cheap. By the way, is the car still 6 volt positive ground or has it been changed to 12 volt negative ground?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Have only seen pictures but plan to see the car late next week. It’s supposedly restored to original but was told the gauges do not work. I will check about the 6 or 12 volt when I see it.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be to reply to this topic.