Correct Engine in 1951 Mercury

Home Forums Technical Discussion Correct Engine in 1951 Mercury

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

A 1951 Mercury I acquired last year has 8BA stamped on the heads and a “FoMoCo” logo. I understand that it should be casted with 8CM, OCM or 1CM and Mercury lettering. It does have the dual side draft carb. Might this be a proper Mercury engine or might someone have installed a Ford engine and adapted the side draft?

I need to replace the thermostats and I am at a loss of what thermostats to obtain. I have a 1949-1951 Lincoln Mercury shop manual and there is no reference to what is the proper casting.

Any idea what 8BA represents? If not a correct engine, any idea of the displacement?

Thank you for any insight you can provide.

After lots of research in the shop manual I have determined that the engine in my 1951 is an early 1949. The fact that both water pumps and generator run off one belt from the inner pulley and the fan runs off the outer pulley gave me the clue. Whoever made the switch years ago did stay with a 1951 intake manifold with side-draft carb but with a manifold-mounted automatic choke. According to the shop manual that choke was only fitted to 1951s with Merc-O-Matic and my car has the 3-speed with overdrive. 1949-51 Lincoln and Mercurys all use the same thermostat so I can now move ahead. My understanding is that an 8BA engine is Mercury and not Ford. If anyone with a 1949 can confirm this that would be helpful.
    Thanks,
    Steve

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be to reply to this topic.