2021 Bronco is a true retro triumph
By Jerry Robbin
The 2021 Ford Bronco is absolutely dynamic in every respect, from the exterior to the interior. The Bronco is retro automotive art and places Ford as a major competitor to Jeep.
My impression after driving the Bronco is that it absolutely lives up to its current and past reputation. The Bronco DNA equals a great getaway and adventure for the entire family.
The Bronco is agile with the 10-speed automatic or the optional V-6.
Ploughing through curves is an adventure and you feel like you are the king of the road. The steering feels responsive coming out of any type of turn. Driving a Bronco fast through twisty roads feels like you’re driving a sports car
All 2021 Ford Broncos come with four-wheel drive and buyers can pick from two transfer cases.
Both are electronic and come with low ranges, but the more advanced case has a “4 Auto” mode that automatically engages front drive when the rears begin to slip.
Safety and Security
Advanced driver assist systems are important and Ford’s Co-Pilot 360 standard suite of safety aides includes pre-collision assist with pedestrian detection and automatic emergency braking, as well as automatic high-beams.
Additional features include blind-spot assist, lane-keep assist and a 360-degree camera system.
Under the Hood
The Bronco is available with a 2.3-liter turbocharged four-cylinder (300 hp, 325 pd. ft. of torque on premium fuel) and the uplevel 2.7-liter twin-turbo six-cylinder, tuned to deliver 330 hp on premium fuel (315 on 87 octane) and a generous 415 lb-ft of torque.
The engine is also paired to the same 10-speed SelectShift automatic transmission and the combination is just as effective.
As with the exterior, the interior of the 2021 Ford Bronco takes on a rugged, yet modern appearance and looks like it will stand up to even the most hardcore overlanding trips.
The cabin feels spacious and airy with the Bronco signature throughout the interior. Bronco’s dash is unique and functional.
The dash recalls the original Bronco, but with sensible design. The control layout is straightforward, the switchgear feels substantial and easy to use, and there are well-placed grab handles at the edge of the dash to help with the long climb into the front seats.
The back seats in the four-door Bronco could have used a little more ergonomics when it came to design, support and functionality. The nicest thing we can say about them is that they fold down easily to expand the roomy cargo bay, which is lined with hard plastic.
The camera setup with a split view of the front bumper cam and the top-down 360-degree view via a rotary dial ringing the transfer case switch, will pick a baseline setup for you.
• Matching Spare Wheel and Tire.
• Personal Safety System.
• First Row: Driver and Passenger Dual-Stage Front Airbags.
• First Row: Driver and Passenger Seat Side Airbags.
• All Rows: Safety Canopy Side-Curtain with Rollover Sensor.
• Lower Anchors and Tether Anchors for Children (LATCH) – Each Second Row Seating Position.
• Individual Tire Pressure Monitoring System.
• Adaptive cruise control with steering assist.
• Four-Wheel Disc Brakes with Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) and Electronic Stability Control.
• Advanced 4×4 with Automatic On-Demand Engagement Open image overlay for Advanced 4×4 with Automatic On-Demand Engagement.
• Adaptive Cruise Control.
• Forward Sensing System.
• Reverse Sensing System.
• Trail Control (requires 10-speed transmission).
• Trail Turn Assist (requires 10-speed transmission).
• Trail One-Pedal Drive (Requires 2.7L Engine and 10 speed auto).
• Electronic-Locking Rear Axle.
• Electronic-Locking Front and Rear Axle Open image overlay for Electronic-Locking Front and Rear Axle.
• Front Stabilizer Bar Disconnect Open image overlay for Front Stabilizer Bar Disconnect.
• HOSS Suspension System with Bilstein PSDs, and high clearance ride height.
• Hill start assist.
• Intelligent Access with Push-Button Start.
• Remote Start System Open image overlay for Remote Start System.
• 8-inch Color LCD Instrument Panel (In gauge cluster).
• High-Level Instrument Panel.
• Carpeted Flooring Front/Rear.
• Carpeted floor mats, first row.
• Carpeted floor mats, second row (4-Door Only).
• Floor Liners Front and Rear.
• Pre-Collision Assist with Automatic Emergency Braking.
• Lane-Keeping System.
• BLIS with Cross-Traffic Alert.
• Illuminated Sliding Visor Vanity Mirrors (Driver and Front Passenger).
• Terrain Management System (TMS) with 7 G.O.A.T. Modes.
• Ambient Footwell Lighting.
• Auto-dimming rearview mirror.
• Powerpoints (12V) – Two – Front Center Floor Console (1) and Cargo Area (1).
• Dual Smart Charging USB Ports – Type C + Std A, Front Row.
• Dual Smart Charging USB Ports – Type C + Std A, Second Row (Back of Center Floor Console).
• Dual Smart Charging USB Ports – Type C + Std A, DashBoard.
• AC Power Outlet – Back Side Of Center Floor Console Open image overlay for AC Power Outlet – Back Side Of Center Floor Console.
• Wireless Charging Pad.
• Heated and Leather-Wrapped Steering Wheel with Bronco Badge, cruise and audio controls.
• Manual tilt and telescoping steering column.
• Second Row window controls (4-door): Located in the back side of the Center Floor Console.
• Hard Top Sound Deadening Headliner (requires Hard Top).
• Bang and Olafson Sound System,10-Speakers including subwoofer.
• SYNC 4 – 12″ LCD Capacitive Touchscreen with Swipe Capability and Enhanced Voice Recognition.
• Open image overlay for SYNC 4 12″ LCD Capacitive Touchscreen with Swipe Capability and Enhanced Voice Recognition.
• AppLink with App Catalog.
• 911 Assist.
• Wireless Apple Carplay and Android Auto Compatibility.
• Connected Voice-Activated Touchscreen Navigation System with Pinch-to-Zoom Capability – 90-day trial subscription.
• Connected Built-in Voice-Activated Touchscreen Navigation System with Pinch-to-Zoom Capability – three years of service included.
• SiriusXM With 360L.
• SYNC 4.
• FordPass Connect.
The 2021 Ford Bronco is set to be a modern icon, thanks to its retro looks that pay tribute to the original Bronco, while incorporating contemporary design elements that really add to its appeal.
In short, it looks really unique. From the sheet metal, headlights to the signature rear end, this unique vehicle says BRONCO for those who remember the original model.
Go to your local Ford dealer today to see why the all-new Bronco has landed a major blow to the main competitor in this category! Take a test drive and see for yourself!
• Length: 189.4 inches.
• Width: 75.9 inches.
• Height: 71.4 inches.
• Wheelbase: 105.1 inches.