2014 Edge offers 5-passenger comfort
By Jerry Robbin
The 2014 Ford Edge will have a complete redesign for 2015, but the current model still stands out from the rest of its competitors.
The Edge sports a chrome-intensive front grille that flows into its narrowed headlights. LED running light bars are located where most crossovers would have fog lights, providing another distinctive visual cue for the new Edge.
The 2014 Edge drives just like a car and the ride is exceptional. The steering is responsive, especially on the highway. It’s a great vehicle for a family of five on short or long trips.
Under the Hood
My 2014 Edge had the turbocharged 2.0-liter four cylinder with a six-speed automatic, 240 hp and 270 lb.-ft. of torque. This combination delivers 21 city/30 hwy mpg. My Edge had 18-inch tires with an active aerodynamic grille that closes during lower speeds, providing increased gas mileage.
My 2014 Edge Limited came with the standard rearview camera, Sony sound system, HD radio and MyFord Touch.
It was also equipped with Vista Roof, adaptive cruise control, heated front power seats, leather upholstery, blind-spot monitors, power tailgate, satellite radio, rear parking sensors, power front seats, SYNC and a Bluetooth-driven system that allows drivers to control audio and phone features with voice commands.
The second-row seat has excellent legroom and the seatbacks also recline. The Edge’s cargo space behind the second row of seats is 32.2 cubic feet and expands to more than 68 cubic feet with the rear seat down.
The 2014 Ford Edge has soft contours highlighted with some crisp edges and surfaces. It is not dramatically different from the 2013 model, except for a new massive grille.
If you are in the market for a five- passenger CUV, the 2014 Edge is worth a trip to your local Ford dealer for a test drive.
The standard features of the 2014 Edge Limited are:
* Multi-level heating passenger seat.
* 8-way power passenger seat.
* 8-way power driver seat.
* Passenger seat with power adjustable lumbar support.
* Multi-level heating driver seat.
*Driver seat with power- adjustable lumbar support.
* Height-adjustable driver seat.
* Height-adjustable passenger seat.
* Leather bucket front seats.
* Split-folding rear seatback.
* Reclining rear seats.
* Folding with storage center armrest.
* Rear ventilation ducts.
* Digital keypad power door lock.
* Power mirrors.
* Heated mirrors.
* One-touch power windows.
* Trip computer.
* Low fuel level warning.
* Cruise control.
* Cargo net.
* Front console with storage.
Safety and security
* Four-wheel ABS.
* Front and rear head airbags.
* Dual front side-mounted airbags.
* Child seat anchors.
* Emergency braking assist.
* Front and rear ventilated disc brakes.
* Rear door child safety locks.
* Engine immobilizer.
* Two front headrests.
* Three rear headrests.
* Passenger airbag occupant sensing deactivation.
* Rear center three-point belt.
* Front seatbelt pretensioners.
* Stability control.
* Traction control.
* Electronic brakeforce distribution.
* Front multi-adjustable headrests.
* Rear height-adjustable headrests.
* Post-collision safety system.
* Tire pressure monitoring.
* Front and rear cupholders.
* Front and rear door pockets.
* Overhead console with storage.
* Retained accessory power.
* Front seatback storage
* Power steering
* Universal remote transmitter (for garage door, security system, etc.).
* 12V front, 12V rear and 12V cargo area power outlets.
* Rear parking sensors.
* Tilt and telescopic steering wheel.
* Audio and cruise controls on steering wheel.
* Rear view camera.
* Destination guidance (also Turn-by-Turn Navigation).
* Destination Download.
* Interior air filtration.
* Dual zone climate controls for driver and passenger.
* Cargo area light.
* Simulated wood trim on dash.
* Front and rear reading lights.
* Leather and chrome trim on shift knob.
* Leather steering wheel.
* Front and rear floor mats.
* Electrochromatic inside rearview mirror.
* Dual illuminating vanity mirrors.
* Memorized settings for two drivers.
In Car Entertainment
* Mast antenna.
* Sony premium brand stereo system with 12 speakers and subwoofer.
* 390 watts stereo output.
* AM/FM in-dash single CD player with CD MP3 playback.
* Sirius XM satellite radio with six months of provided service.
* Speed sensitive volume control.
* Auxiliary audio input and iPod/iPhone integration.
* Memory card slot.
* Radio data system.
* USB connection.
* Video monitor
* Voice directions only via subscription service navigation system.
* Pre-wired for phone
* Bluetooth wireless data link for hands-free phone.
* Width: 76 inches.
* Height: 67 inches.
* Length: 184.2 inches.
* Ground clearance: 7.9 inches.
* Wheel base: 111.2 inches.
* Front head room: 40 inches.
* Front hip room: 54.8 inches.
* Front leg room: 40.7 inches.
* Front shoulder room: 58.9 inches.
* Rear hip room: 56.3 inches.
* Rear head room: 39.3 inches.
* Rear leg room: 39.6 inches.
* Rear shoulder room: 58.7 inches.
Weights and Capacities
* Maximum towing capacity: 3500 lbs.
* Maximum payload: 909 lbs.
* EPA interior volume: 140.6 cu.ft.
* Curb weight: 4,052 lbs.
* Cargo capacity, all seats in place: 32.2 cu.ft.
* Max. cargo capacity: 68.9 cu.ft.