2019 Ford Raptor offers superior off-road skills
By Jerry Robbin
The 2019 Raptor has upgraded suspension and new Fox Racing adaptive dampers that automatically adjust in real time as driving conditions change.
The Raptor gains a low-speed cruise control called Trail Control, that makes climbing rocky terrain and other off-road obstacles easier for the driver. Other updates include new paint colors, a new wheel design and optional Recaro front seats for added support and style.
The new Trail Control feature is a cruise control for off-road trails. The system limits the speed and ranges only from 1-20 mph, though it allows you to set half-mph-intervals for better precision when climbing over obstacles.
The transmission delivers quick shifts and enhances the drive experience. The different drive modes — normal, sport, Baja, rock crawl, deep snow/sand, towing and weather — affect the transmission differently, with Baja and sport mode holding shifts until the last moment, and normal mode keeping the engine’s rpms down to conserve fuel.
The new suspension keeps the Raptor stable over bumpy terrain. The steering is responsive and the brakes can stop the Raptor at any speed.
Under the hood
The 2019 Raptor has a high-output twin-turbo, intercooled DOHC 24-valve, 3.5L EcoBoost engine with port fuel and direct injection, paired with a 10-speed automatic transmission that generates a massive 450 hp and 510 lb.-ft. of torque.
The Raptor’s interior features heated and cooled front seats, leather seating surfaces and unique color choices that add a touch of luxury. Its touchscreen infotainment system Sync 3 is easy to use and the controls are laid out well. The system supports Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.
The Raptor’s 5.5-foot cargo bed is as useful as those of its short-bed rivals, and its interior cubby storage is the best among rivals.
The 2019 Raptor is nearly 500 lbs. lighter than the previous generation with its high-strength, military-grade, aluminum-alloy body, but what really sets it apart is the tech underneath, with its Trail Control and Terrain Management System.
The bold grill, Raptor signage and rear tail gate set this unique truck apart from its sibling F150.
• Standard forward-collision warning and automated emergency braking.
• Available lane-departure warning and lane-keeping assist.
• Available blind-spot monitor and rear cross-traffic alert.
• AdvanceTrac with Roll Stability Control.
• Airbags – Front, driver and passenger.
• Airbags – Front, driver and passenger seat-mounted side.
• Airbags – Safety Canopy side curtains.
• Curve Control.
• Four-Wheel anti-lock brakes.
• Safety Belts – Active Restraint System (ARS), Three-Point Manual Lap/Shoulder Belts with Height. Adjusters, Pretensioners and Energy Management Retractors on Outside Front Positions.
• Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS).
• Rear View Camera with Dynamic Hitch Assist.
Comfort and Convenience
• 110-Volt/400-watt power inverter, instrument panel.
• 110-Volt/400-watt power inverter, rear flow-through console.
• 4.2-inch productivity screen.
• Pre-Collision assist with automatic emergency braking.
• Automatic high beams.
• Black carpet flooring with rubber front and rear floor mats.
• Cruise control.
• Delayed accessory power.
• Dome light.
• Fade-to-off interior lighting.
• Flow-through center console with floor shifter.
• Fully flat load floor.
• Gauges and Meters – fuel, oil pressure, transmission temperature and engine coolant temperature; speedometer, odometer and tachometer.
• Grab handles (A-Pillar) – Front, driver and passenger side.
• Horn, dual-note.
• Intermittent windshield wipers.
• Outside temperature display.
• Overhead console with six auxillary upfitter switches.
• Power door locks with Flip Key and Integrated Key Transmitter Keyless Entry, including Auto-Lock.
• Powerpoint, 12v, Front
• Powerpoint, 12v, Rear.
• Rearview mirror, auto-dimming.
• Reverse sensing system.
• Steering wheel, leather wrapped, sport style with thumb pads and paddle shifters.
• Steering wheel, manual tilt/telescoping.
• Ford Performance aluminum scuff plates.
• Unique interior trim accents.
• Visors with driver- and passenger-side covered mirrors.
• 360-degree camera with split-view display.
• 8-inch productivity screen.
• Adaptive cruise control with Stop-and-Go.
• Ambient lighting.
• Intelligent access with push-button start.
• Lane-keeping system.
• Power-adjustable pedals.
• Power-adjustable pedals with memory.
• Pro Trailer backup assist.
• Rain-sensing wipers.
• Seats – Front, heated and ventilated.
• Smoker’s pack with ash/coin cup.
• Steering wheel, heated.
• Steering wheel, power tilt/telescoping with memory and electronic locking.
• Universal garage door opener.
• AM/FM/CD stereo.
• SiriusXM Satellite Radio.
• SYNC 3.
• FordPass Connect with WiFi hotspot.
• Kicker subwoofer.
• Bang & Olufsen sound system.
• Voice-activated Navigation with SiriusXM Traffic and Travel Link.
• Width: 79.9 in.
• Height: 77.2 in.
• Length: 231.9 in.
• Wheelbase: 145 in.
• Front head room: 40.8 in.
• Front leg room: 43.9 in.
• Front shoulder room: 66.7 in.
• Rear shoulder room: 65.9 in.
If you are in the market for a performance truck with some real get-up and go, then go to your local Ford dealer for a test drive today.