Changing the Oil Pan Gaskets

Home Forums Technical Discussion Changing the Oil Pan Gaskets

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

<p class=”MsoNormal” style=”margin: 0cm 0cm 10pt;”>Hi there Merc friends! 

<p class=”MsoNormal” style=”margin: 0cm 0cm 10pt;”>Here goes my first tech question in our brand  new forum!

<p class=”MsoNormal” style=”margin: 0cm 0cm 10pt;”>What is the easiest way to change my leaking oil pan gaskets?  With the cross-member  in the way, can I do it without lifting up the engine? 

<p class=”MsoNormal” style=”margin: 0cm 0cm 10pt;”>Thanks Ahead!

<p class=”MsoNormal” style=”margin: 0cm 0cm 10pt;”>Aris 

I used the new feature of the website to look up what kind of Merc you have in the membership list.  It shows you have a ’54 4dr.  I looked up oil pan removal in my “Motor Auto Repair Manual” and here are the steps to remove the pan while the engine is in the car.

1. Bring #6 piston up on top dead center (TDC) to allow clearance between oil pan and crankshaft.

2. Remove screws attaching engine splash shield to frame side members.

3. Raise car and drain crankcase.

4. Unfasten and remove engine splash shield from frame crossmember.

5. Disconnect stablizer and pull it forward to allow clearance for oil pan removal.

6. Remove inlet tube from oil pump and loosen nut securing inlet tube to oil pan.

7. Remove attaching screws and drop pan.

From this it does not appear you will need to lift the engine.  It allows seems important that the number 6 cylinder be at top dead center.

Hope this helps.

Aris has a 1954 Monterey 4dr

Hi John and thanks for the info.  Looks like our posts “crossed in the mail” so to speak.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Oooooops! sorry guys, I should have  mentioned that I have the ’54 4d Monterey !

Thanks for the very helpful instructions, Virgil, they do  make a difference as   I thought I could only lower the oil  pan to slip in the gasket!

One more question please: Is there a way to determine if besides the oil pan gasket, I also  have a leak from the rear crankshaft oil  seal?

Perhaps once I have gone that far, it might be worthwhile to change the oil seal as well, but thne Ii read on the Fel-Pro oil seal instructions, that I should use a special ‘packing tool’ which i dont have. Any suggestions are welcome!

I would agree with you that once you have the pan off you might as well replace the rear seal.  I think the ’54s had some issue with that rear seal leaking.  I looked up rear seal installation in my ’54 shop manual and it appears there is a need for a special tool to seat the seal into the grooves properly.  Not sure where you could purchase such a tool but I would check with FelPro for help.  Maybe someone else has replaced that seal without the tool and can post on the website.  Good luck.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi There Mercury Lovers…

Jerry said I should try this new site or application out and see if it works…So, here I am. Does it work?

Grumpy John

PS: Anybody want to know how to get a full size ’68 Merc. oil pan off?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be to reply to this topic.