’55 Montclair Chrome Headlight Bezels

Home Forums General Mercury Discussion ’55 Montclair Chrome Headlight Bezels

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

New Member to the Club and ownership of ’55 Montclair Convertible VIN: 55WA64076M now living in her new stable in Orlando. After researching others of the same year, I came across one owned by the Freeman family in Aurora, CO.

My question is regarding the chrome headlight bezels they have on their Montclair, are these a dealership part or totally aftermarket….?
    The car can be seen at: http://forestgroveconcours.org/news/2014-class-award-gallery/

I personally think they pop and add to the already beautiful front on the Montclair.

Any help is most appreciated.
    Cheers…Simon
    Orlando, FL

Welcome to IMOA Simon. Glad to have you as a member especially with a ’55. Mine is a two door hardtop. I have never seen the headlight bezels on a ’55 with the chrome finish as on the Freemans. That is not to say they are not correct. I would suggest you contact the Freemans using the contact information in the membership directory on the website. That car is so perfect that I cannot imagine Mercury not having those bezels available. Are you making the very long trek from Orlando to our show in Spearfish, SD in August? It would be great to see you there.

Larry & Pam Mize
    Participant

Welcome to the Club!! Would love to hear what you find out about the chrome headlight bezels. I’m working on my Dad’s 55 Merc Montclair that he purchased new!

Thanks
    Larry

Anonymous
    Inactive

Good Morning and thank you for the Warm Welcome.
    “Sophia” is my first Mercury and I have to be very honest, after researching 1950’s online, I fell in love with a 1955 Montclair Convertible owned by Chuck and Ginger Freeman in CO. Their amazing car inspired me to have my own ’55 Montclair and to join this club and the luckiest part, was to find one right here in Orlando (not exactly the mecca of Classic Cars).

Purchased recently as a ground-up restoration, everything was running perfectly until yesterday driving her into work, the steering was very rough turning to the right. Bringing her into the garage and up on jack stands, we removed the steering shaft only to reveal the worm gear at the end of the rod completely damaged and chewed up….what to do!

Before I start hunting, can anyone kindly point me in the right direction…?
    It is possible to find just the worm gear or a recondition shaft…?
    Is the shaft the same on the 1956 or any other Mercury/Ford/Lincoln of the same year…?

I’m guessing the quick solution is calling around the country to various salvage yards.

Any help is sincerely appreciated.

Simon.

Check with C&G Early Ford Parts in Escondido, CA. They show a worm gear for your car with the same part number for the ’56. Good luck with your repair.

Simon: Those chrome headlight bezels were the result of someone taking them to a chrome plating shop , and having them done. I don’t even recall J.C.Whitney selling them back in the day.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be to reply to this topic.