1954 Mercury Radio Speaker

Home Forums Technical Discussion 1954 Mercury Radio Speaker

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

Does the Radio on a 1954 Mercury have to be removed to access and replace the speaker? If not, how do you access the speaker from the top? Does the speaker grill come off?

You will have to remove the radio.  That is not difficult.  The speaker grill does come off but only from the bottom.  The speaker itself is held in place by four screws (as I recall) that you access from the bottom.  You must remove the heater plenum (the cardboard to the left of the heater assembly) to remove the radio.  Unhook the power, speaker, and antenna wires, remove the cap screws holding the mounting brackets on the side of the radio, pull the volume and tuning knobs off the front, remove the two nuts holding the radio in the dash (behind the knobs), and the radio will practically fall out of the dash.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks, I was afraid the radio would have to be removed mainly because I just had someone remove the radio and I sent it off for repairs and just had it re-installed without checking the speaker. The joys of restoring an old car. With your instructions I believe I will do it this time myself. Thanks again, Wayne Jones, Georgia.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be to reply to this topic.