2020 Lincoln Aviator Provides Plenty of Power
By Jerry Robbin
Lincoln is back and headed to the top of the class with the all-new 2020 Aviator SUV.
The well-rounded 2020 Lincoln Aviator Reserve is an all-new model that boasts a handsome interior, user-friendly technology and plenty of power.
Think fast, calm, composed and competent as the Aviator takes flight. It has power with a rigid suspension and the handling of a sport vehicle.
Highlighting my test drive was the available adaptive suspension that provided a comfortable, yet composed, ride.
The gigantic 22-inch wheels made handling impressive by providing sufficient control in turns and on the road.
Driving the Aviator was effortless and it had abundant power from 0-60 mph.
My test drive had the Dynamic Handling package with adaptive air suspension that lowers for improved aerodynamics, raises for clearance and constantly adapts itself using road conditions, as well as preview data received from a forward-facing camera.
Under the hood
The 2020 Lincoln Aviator comes standard with a 3.0-liter turbo-charged V-6 that produces 400 hp and 415 pd.-ft. of torque. The vehicle comes standard with a 10-speed automatic transmission and rear-wheel drive, while all-wheel drive is optional. Fuel economy estimates 17/24/20 with AWD.
The interior of the Aviator has elegance in the cabin. Highlighting the interior are many styling cues, such as the rectangular air vents to the wide, thin accent of open-pore wood that stretches from door to door. The central touchscreen highlights the interior and a floating center console presents a set of controls at an easy-to-reach angle with space beneath for storage.
My test drive had the 30-way adjustable seats, which were easy to adjust and made me feel like I was the captain of a luxury liner. Second-row seats are spacious and can recline, tilt and fold flat, and even the third row proves comfortable for adults on shorter trips.
Below is a complete list of the creature features on my test drive.
Convenience and comfort
• AdvanceTrac with Roll Stability Control.
• Ambient lighting.
• Frameless interior rearview mirror with auto-dimming feature.
• Blind-spot detection with crosstraffic alert.
• Carpeted first- and second-row floor mats.
• Dual-illuminated visor vanity mirrors.
• Quad-zone climate controls.
• Front center floor console with armrest, deep storage bin, two cupholders and powerpoints.
• Lockable glovebox.
• 10.1-inch LCD touchscreen center stack display.
• Intelligent access with push-button start.
• Rain-sensing windshield wipers.
• Leather-wrapped steering wheel with cruise, redundant audio, climate and media controls.
• Power tilt/telescopic steering column with memory feature.
• Overhead console with sunglasses holder.
• Particulate air-filtration system.
• Remote start system.
• Universal garage door opener.
• Forward sensing system.
• Reverse sensing system.
• Electric parking brake.
• 360-degree camera.
• 110V power outlet (2nd row).
• Heated steering wheel.
• Heated VisioBlade wipers.
• Panoramic Vista Roof with powers unshade.
• Active noise control.
• Adaptive cruise control with trafficj am assist. Includes lane centering, stop-and-go and speed sign recognition.
• Active park assist plus.
• Wireless charging pad.
• Soft-close doors.
• Manual rear-door suns shades.
• Lincoln + Alexa compatibility.
• SiriusXM satellite radio.• SYNC3.
• Voice-activated navigation with SiriusXM Traffic and SiriusXM Travel Link.
• Four USB ports.
• Lincoln Connect 4G LTE embedded modem with Wi-Fi hotspot capability.
• Revel Audio System with 14 speakers and HD Radio Technology.
• Optional, Revel Ultima 3D Audio System with 28 speakers and HD Radio Technology.
Lincoln designers gave the Aviator a unique and bold look with the new Lincoln DNA. You definitely know this is a new Aviator with its presence on and off the road.
As its name suggests, inspiration for the Aviator came from vintage aircraft and private jets.
The Aviator has a confident stance, designer horizontal lines and a gleaming mesh front grille that gives this vehicle a distinct personality.
Besides the usual airbags and stability aids, the 2020 Aviator comes standard with forward-collision warning with pedestrian detection and automatic emergency braking, blind-spot and rear cross-traffic warning and lane-keeping assist.
A 911 Assist system with automat-ic crash notification is also included as part of the standard Sync 3 infotainment system.
The optional Lincoln Co-Pilot 360 Plus package adds reverse automatic braking, evasive steering assist for the forward-collision mitigation system, a 360-degree parking camera with front camera washer, front parking sensors, an automatic parking system and adaptive cruise control with lane-centering steering assist and stop-and-go functionality.
Safety features include:
• Brake assist.
• Integrated turn-signal mirrors.
• Daytime running lights.
• Blind-spot monitor.
• Cross-traffic alert.
• Lane-keeping assist and lane departure warning.
• Child safety locks.
• Stability and traction control.
• Driver restriction features.
• Driver air bag, passenger air bag, front side air bag, rear head air bag, passenger air bag sensor, knee air bag.
• Width: 79.6 in.
• Height: 69.8 in.
• Length: 199.3 in.
• Wheelbase: 119.1 in.
• Front head room: 40.3 in.
• Front leg room: 39 in.
• Front hip room: 58.5 in.
• Front shoulder room: 61.5 in.
• Rear head room: 39.7 in.
• Rear hip room: 58.5 in.
• Rear leg room: 39 in.
• Rear shoulder room: 61.5 in.
If you are in the market for a unique vehicle that can seat the entire family, then go to your local Lincoln dealer for a test drive today.