Ford Transit Connect has space to spare
By Jerry Robbin
The 2019 Ford Transit Connect boasts numerous improvements versus the 2018 version, including a newly available engine and updated driver-assistance technology. It is a unique vehicle for the entire family.
Driving the 2019 Ford Transit Connect Passenger feels like you are driving a car. It gives you the ability to fit in any size parking space and the steering is very responsive.
The Transit Connect pick up is impressive and the brakes can stop you easily, even with a maximum payload. The vehicle is easy to maneuver and has minimal blind spots.
Under the hood
The Transit Connect has a 2.0-liter Duratec I-4 gas engine, with the option of a 1.5-liter diesel engine. The Duratec operates at 169 hp. Its mileage is rated at 24 mph city and 29 mph highway. It has a 15.8-gallon fuel tank capacity.
The interior feels like a crossover SUV and my test drive had the long wheelbase (LWD), which had a third row of seating. The controls are easily accessible and the seats are extremely comfortable.
The seats in the back rows can flip, fold or even be removed, so this passenger version still offers a lot of cargo-people flexibility. My test drive was a Titanium, which had a pair of captain’s chairs in the second row. The total amount of occupants it can handle is six.
The 2019 Transit Connect looks a lot like a van with a car front end. Ford’s signature grille spotlights the unique vehicle front and the signature rear tail lights highlight this unique people mover. It brings a little style, which is then followed by a boxy body that provides all that cargo space and-or headroom enjoyed by those within.
• Side curtain airbags (covers all rows in wagons, depending on number of rows.
• Frontal airbags, drive and passenger.
• Front seat side airbags, driver and passenger.
• Rearview camera.
• Tire pressure monitoring system.
• Curve control.
• Torque vectoring control.
• Safety Canopy System.
• Trailer sway control.
• Emergency brake assist.
Comfort and Convenience
• 12-volt front and rear powerpoints in center console.
• 12-volt single powerpoint in rear cargo area.
• Four-spoke leather-wrapped steering wheel with satin chrome accents.
• Auto-dimming rearview mirror.
• Carpeted floor cover, first and second row.
• Cruise control.
• Door pockets.
• Driver sunvisor with vanity mirror and ticket strap, passenger sunvisor with mirror.
• In-Cluster Message Center.
• Overhead sunglass holder and child observation mirror.
• Premium carpeted floor mats, second row.
• Premium carpeted front floor mats.
• Rear cargo-third row carpeted floor cover.
• Premium front center closed console, includes two cupholders, front and rear 12-volt powerpoints, 110-volt power converter and storage.
• Rear overhead courtesy lamp.
• Rear window defroster.
• Remote keyless entry with two key fobs.
• Instrumentation includes speedometer, tachometer and trip computer.
• Steering wheel, manual tilt/telescoping.
• Dual front map lights.
• Intelligent access with push-button start.
• FordPass Connect.
• FordPass Connect telematics modem.
• AM/FM/CD stereo.
• SYNC 3 with 6.5-inch LCD touch screen.
• SiriusXM Satellite Radio 911 Assist, Applink, Apple CarPlay compatibility, Android Auto compatibility.
• Two smart-charging USB ports.
• Wireless charging.
• Width: 84.1 in.
• Height: 71.6 in.
• Length: 190 in.
• Wheelbase: 120.6 in.
• Front head room: 47 in.
• Front leg room: 41.5 in.
• Front shoulder room: 58 in.
• Front hip room: 54 in.
If you are in the market for a unique vehicle that can transport your whole family, along with cargo space to spare, then go to your local Ford dealer for a test drive today.