Eight is enough for Ford Platinum Expedition
By Jerry Robbin
The 2017 Ford Expedition is basically unchanged for the current model year, with a major update expected for 2018.
A twin-turbo V-6 was added in 2015 and the infotainment system was upgraded to the Sync 3. The Expedition can seat up to eight people.
The Expedition with active suspension handles like you are in a sedan. The electric power steering is responsive and precise.
The SUV does a good job of absorbing bumps and the active suspension has normal, comfort and sport modes.
The Expedition’s stability control is programmed to limit instability while towing, by applying the brakes and reducing the power when sensors detect trailer sway.
Under the hood
• SAE net horsepower: 365@ 5000.
• Displacement: 3.5 L/213.
• Engine order code: 99T.
• SAE net torque: 420@2500.
• Fuel system: Gasoline direct injection.
• Engine type: Twin turbo regular unleaded V-6.
The 2017 Expedition Platinum is loaded with technology from the updated Sync 3 infotainment system, featuring an 8-inch screen; two 4.2-inch color screens flanking the gauges and a functional center stack.
The seats are comfortable, wide and well cushioned, and the seating position works for any size driver.
Leg and knee room is good in the second row, and the third row can hold adults for short trips. My test drive came with the power folding rear seats.
The EL version has 20 cubic feet behind the third row, and a total of 130.8 cubic feet behind the first row.
• Remote keyless entry with push-button start.
• Power driver’s seat.
• Four one-touch power windows.
• Power tilt/telescoping steering wheel.
• Power door locks and rear-door child safety locks.
• Power windows with one touch up/down driver’s window.
• Power rear quarter windows.
• Power moon roof.
• Power liftgate.
• Power/heated side mirrors.
• Power-adjustable brake and accelerator pedals.
• Third-row power-folding seats.
• Sync 3 multimedia system.
• Integrated navigation system.
• Blindspot monitoring system.
• Blind Spot Information System with cross-traffic alert.
• Central speedometer with dual 4.2-inch cluster displays on either side.
• External temperature display.
• Reverse and forward sensing system.
• Overhead console with sunglass holder and conversation mirror.
• Large front floor console.
• Memory feature for the driver’s seat, power-adjustable foot pedals and exterior mirrors.
• Auto-dimming rearview mirror.
• 110-volt AC power outlet.
• Floor shifter.
• Cruise control.
• Message center.
• Dual illuminated vanity mirrors on front visors.
• Universal garage door opener.
• Passenger-assist handles.
• Ambient lighting.
• Trailer tow package.
• Dual-zone automatic climate control.
• Front perforated, leather-trimmed, heated/cooled bucket seats.
• Second-row 40/20/40 split bench reclining fold-flat seat with CenterSlide.
• Carpeted floor.
• Carpeted first- and second-row floor mats.
• Woodgrain appliques.
• Leather-wrapped power tilt/telescoping steering wheel with audio controls.
• Memory seat.
• Heated/cooled front seats.
• Heated second-row captain’s chairs.
• Illuminated entry lighting.
• Sony premium audio system.
• AM/FM/CD stereo.
• HD radio.
• Satellite radio.
• Rear entertainment DVD system.
The exterior of the Expedition has a boxy appearance that hasn’t changed much over the years. It has its design elements, which include edges of modern elements.
To soften its appearance, the Expedition has a bluff grille with big chrome bars, and a thick chrome strip across the back that visually lowers its appearance.
If you are in the market for a large SUV that can carry a family of eight, then go to your local Ford dealer for a test drive today.
• Width: 78.8 in.
• Height: 77.2 in.
• Length: 206.5 in.
• Wheelbase: 119 in.
• Minimum ground clearance, 8.7 in.
• Front head room: 39.6 in.
• Front leg room: 41.1 in.
• Front hip room: 60.2 in.
• Front shoulder room: 63.2 in.
• Second head room: 39.8 in.
• Second leg room: 39.1 in.
• Second hip room: 59.9 in.
• Second shoulder room: 63.7 in.
• Third head room: 38.3 in.
• Third leg room: 37.7 in.
• Third hip room: 50.2 in.
• Third shoulder room: 51.9 in.
• Cargo height: 34.6 in.
• Cargo area length floor to seat: 82.5 in.
• Cargo area width: 49.2 in.
• Driver air bag.
• Passenger air bag on/off switch.
• Passenger air bag.
• Rear air bag.
• Side head air bag.
• Rear head air bag.
• Side air bag.
• Rear body air bag.
• 4-Wheel ABS.
• 4-Wheel disc brakes.
• 4-Wheel drum brakes.
• Front disc/rear drum brakes.
• Brake assist.
• Electronic stability control.
• Auto-on headlights.
• Daytime running lights.
• Child safety locks.
• Integrated turn signal mirrors.
• Night vision.
• Adjustable pedals.
• Rollover protection system.
• Front tow hooks.
• Rear tow hooks.
• Traction control.
• Emergency trunk release.
• Blind spot monitor.
• Auto-leveling headlights.
• Lane departure warning.