2017 Ford Focus ST A hatchback for the times
The 2017 Ford Focus ST can be used as a daily driver while still providing an exhilarating ride.
The new Focus ST has a sporty and stylish bold new look that should help it find its niche in the hatchback market.
It handles well around corners and the steering is very responsive. The six-speed shifter is smooth and the ride quality impressive.
Under the hood
The ST features an exclusive turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine that produces 252 hp and 270 lb.-ft. of torque. Power is sent to the front wheels through a six-speed manual transmission.
Its acceleration is impressive and its fuel economy is 23 mpg city and 32 mpg highway.
• Two front headrests.
• Three rear headrests.
• Auto delay off headlamps.
• Dusk-sensing headlamps.
• Daytime running lights.
• Front and rear head airbags.
• Dual front and dual rear side-mounted airbags.
• Child seat anchors.
• Turn signal mirrors.
• Remote anti-theft alarm system.
• Tire pressure monitoring.
• Four-wheel ABS.
• Rear center three-point belt.
• Ventilated front disc/solid rear disc brakes.
• Engine immobilizer.
• Front fog/driving lights.
• Passenger airbag occupant sensing deactivation.
• Stability control.
• Traction control.
• Rear door child safety locks.
• Rear inflatable seat belts w/rear belt monitor.
• Airbag Deployment Notification.
Standard equipment includes key-less entry and ignition, air conditioning, cloth upholstery, front sport seats (with driver height adjustment), 60/40-split rear seats, a leather-wrapped tilt-and-telescoping steering wheel, MyKey parental controls, a rearview camera, a 4.2-inch central display, Bluetooth, Sync voice controls and a six-speaker sound system with a CD player and a USB port.
The ST2 package adds dual-zone automatic climate control, cloth and leather upholstery, Recaro front sport seats, the Sync 3 infotainment interface with an eight-inch touchscreen, Apple CarPlay and Android Auto smartphone app integration, and a 10-speaker Sony sound system with HD radio, satellite radio and dual USB ports.
My test drive had the ST3 package that included heated mirrors, a keyless entry keypad, full leather upholstery, heated front Recaro seats (they were very supportive and had eight-way power adjustments for the driver), a heated steering wheel, a rear center armrest, multicolor ambient interior lighting, carbon-fiber interior accents and a navigation system.
• Sport front seats.
• Height-adjustable driver seat.
• Split-folding rear seatback.
• Rear ventilation ducts.
• Hands-free entry.
• Four one-touch power windows.
• Heated mirrors.
• Trip computer.
• External temperature display.
• Cruise control.
• Adjustable pedals.
• Front cupholders.
• Front door pockets.
• Front seatback storage.
• Power steering.
• Tilt and telescopic steering wheel.
• Audio and cruise controls on steering wheel.
• Electric speed-proportional power steering.
• Destination guidance and Turn-by-Turn Navigation.
• Destination Download.
• Electrochromatic inside rear-view mirror.
• Interior air filtration.
• Leather steering wheel.
• Turn signal in mirrors.
• Dual illuminating vanity mirrors.
• Six total speakers.
• AM/FM/CD stereo, 110 watts stereo output.
• Auxiliary audio input and USB with external media control.
• USB connection.
• Speed-sensitive volume control.
• Mast antenna.
The restyled front has the daytime running lights, LED fog lamps and bi-xenon headlights.
Outside standard equipment includes 18-inch alloy wheels with summer tires, performance brakes, an electronic limited-slip differential and fog lights. In addition, it has LED daytime running lights and a sport body kit.
The ST2 package adds xenon headlights and a sunroof.
• Width: 71.8 in.
• Height: 57.9 in.
• Length: 171.7 in.
• Wheelbase: 104.3 in.
• Front head room: 38.3 in.
• Front leg room: 43.1 in.
• Front hip room: 53.9 in.
• Front shoulder room: 55.6 in.
• Rear head room: 38.0 in.
• Rear leg room: 33.2 in.
• Rear hip room: 52.8 in.
• Rear shoulder room: 52.6 in.