2015 Ford Transit triggers new generation of vans
Ford has once again started a revolution by creating a new generation of commercial vans. The Transit is multi-purpose, and more maneuverable and economical than its competition.
It’s a new area for commercial van buyers that comes in two wheelbase sizes, three roof heights, three engine choices and three different body lengths.
The 2015 Ford Transit Wagon had very responsive steering and drove more like a family vehicle. It had a smooth-running engine and minimal wind noise. I found it to be fun to drive and an excellent choice for moving a group of family members to a host of destinations in comfort.
Under the hood
The test drive came equipped with a 3.7-liter V-6 that generates 275 hp and 260 lb-ft of torque. The wagon had a six-speed automatic transmission that sends the power to the rear wheels. It is EPA rated at a combined 16 mpg (14 city/19 highway).
The 2015 Transit Wagon’s interior is contemporary and elegant compared to its predecessor, the E Series. Highlighting the interior of the Transit is the tall center console, close-at-hand gear selector and easily accessed climate and radio controls. The Transit’s interior is well laid out and the use of quality materials is prevalent.
My test drive had the standard setup for eight, with standard wheelbase. It brings several welcome new features for rear passengers. There’s an aisle between the rows rather than forcing passengers to move rearward between the seats and the body of the van, making it much easier to access seats farther to the rear. Other interior features included:
* Driver seat with manual ad-justable lumbar support.
* Bucket front seats.
* Reclining rear seats.
* Rear ventilation ducts.
* Remote keyless power door locks.
* Two one-touch power windows.
* Power mirrors.
* Trip computer.
* Low fuel level warning.
* Cruise control.
* Overhead console with storage.
* Power steering.
* Tilt and telescopic steering wheel.
* Cruise controls on steering wheel.
* 12V rear and 12V cargo area power outlets.
* Eight total speakers.
* AM-FM stereo.
* Auxiliary audio input.
* Pre-wired for phone.
* Air conditioning.
* Rear reading lights.
* Cargo area light.
* Dual illuminating vanity mirrors.
* Four-wheel ABS.
* Front head airbags.
* Dual front side-mounted airbags.
* Child seat anchors.
* Two front headrests
* Ventilated front disc/solid rear disc brakes.
* Rear center 3-point belt.
* Stability and traction control.
* Electronic brakeforce distribution.
* Perimeter anti-theft alarm.
* VP backup alarm.
* SecuriLock passive anti-theft system w/engine immobilizer.
* Lane Keeping Alert w/Driver Alert.
* Rear-view camera w/trailer hitch assist.
* Reverse sensing system.
* Post-collision safety system.
* Width: 81.3 in.
* Height: 109.2 in.
* Length: 266.1 in.
* Wheelbase: 147.6 in.
The new Ford Transit marks a changing of the guard. With its unique styling, car-like unibody construction and superior fuel economy, it starts the next chapter for big American vans.